couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiple database or many doc types in one database?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:48:45 GMT

On 3/17/2011 3:46 AM, Paul Hirst wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 04:51 +0000, Dominic Tarr wrote:
>> is it a good idea to
>>
>>    1. separate documents for different types of thing into different
>> databases?
>>
>> or is it better to
>>
>>    2. just have a type='whatever' and check for that in your views?
> I am using option 2. I prepend type_ to my ids to avoid keys clashing
> and also have a type field in the body which I use in my views.
>
> However I'm really regretting doing it this way as I only have two
> documents types. I have 0.25 million of type A and 28 million of type B.
> I often want to change the views regarding type A documents and have to
> wait about 12 hours for it to rebuild. If I had separate databases this
> would be far less of a problem as the type A views would rebuild in a
> few minutes.
What happens if you simply seprate the views into two different design
documents?  If the views for type A were in one design document, then
you would at least avoid rebuilding the views that work with type B
(which at least suggest that the only time hit would come from having to
execute "if (type == 'A') emit(stuff)" on the type B documents.