couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Wood <...@omnigroup.com>
Subject _changes and filters not working in harmony?
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 23:59:41 GMT

I’ve been playing with the _changes support in concert with the filter parameter. I’m
seeing some odd results, though.

In all these cases, my filter function looks like:

function(doc, req) {
  if (doc.type == "item" && doc["_attachments"]) {
    return true;
  }
  return false;
}

1) If I query for changes with a filter like:

	http://status-board:5984/status-board/_changes?feed=continuous&filter=app/items

I’ll see my test documents (that match the filter) come back. Great. But then if I go and
delete a document using Futon, no “_deleted”:true change comes back. If I leave off the
filter, I do get a _deleted entry in the changes feed.

2) If I edit the document in Futon (by deleting its last attachment) so that it no longer
matches the filter, I don’t get a _deleted entry. I would expect to get one since the change
feed reported the document to me (it matched the filter) and then it was edited to not match
the filter. For an observer following a filtered feed, this delete seems pretty crucial (if
you wanted to do a filtered replication, for example).

If I start a an unfiltered _changes feed and then do an insert of a document followed by adding
an attachment, I get two lines in the _changes feed. But, if I use the filter, I only get
one. That is, unlike the delete case, the filter doesn’t note the document until the document
matches the filter. Probably a happy accident, but the mirror case (edit to not match the
filter) should be symmetric and issue a delete change.

In my particular use case, I can probably just drop the filter on the server side and do it
in the client. Is there something wrong in my use of _changes with a filter? I don’t see
any discussion of this in the book or on the mailing list, but maybe I missed it.

Thanks!

-tim