couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: date range querying
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:00:17 GMT
day=1 day was a typo *and* pseudocode.

I mean simply that you should increment 'day' by '1 whole day' in the loop.

let's assume day is an integral value from some epoch (0 meaning jan 1
1970, 1 meaning jan 2 1970, and so on).

for (day=startDay; day<endDay; day++) {
  emit(day, null);
}

B.

On 12 February 2011 14:46, Warner Onstine <warnero@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried that with no success (in fact it completely borked all views
> for that document type and had to delete it to get things working
> again. I may try and monkey around with these two scripts again to see
> what I did wrong.
>
> It really didn't like
> day= 1 day
>
> and honestly I'm not even sure what that's supposed to do.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know if I figure it out. But
> I am seriously thinking about using ElasticSearch to make it a more
> robust searching solution (I have a lot of searching coming up soon).
>
> -warner
>
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Within couchdb itself, I think you'd have to do as Nils suggested;
>>
>> for (day = startDate; day < endDate; day= 1 day) {
>>  emit(day, null);
>> }
>>
>> then ?key=<day I want>
>>
>> Or you could use couchdb-lucene, index startDate and endDate as dates,
>> query with ?q=startDate:[day TO maxdate]&endDate:[mindate TO day]
>> where 'date' is the date you are searching for.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:
>>> You could emit a view index entry for every day in the date range of a document?
This could become inefficient storage-wise if you have large date ranges.

>>> What exactly "starts returning records that don't match at all"? In what way
are you querying your view? I have to admit I have no idea how I could get the information
you're looking for from that complex key. Also, the emit method takes two arguments AFAIK:
a key and a value. You seem to be emitting a single value?