couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tim King <tgk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: memcouchd...
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:15:05 GMT
Hi kowsik,

Thanks for sharing your code it looks pretty interesting.

I can think of a cool use for it outside of nodejs. I'm currently writing
some applications using Titanium Appcelerator http://www.appcelerator.com/.
I don't know if you know about it or not. It allows you to write
applications for iPhone/iPad/Android using Javascript which gets converted
into Objective-C or Java respectively and compiled into native applications.

One thing I'd really like to have is couchdb or a compatible API running on
these mobile devices which can be used for offline storage and syncing with
couchdb servers. I'm aware that it is possible to compile couch for Android
but after investigating running it on iOS I think this will be hard and it
would probably not be allowed by Apple anyway due to the Erlang VM.

Anyway I was thinking that using your memcouchd it would be possible to
create an embedded couch compatible db for use in Appclerator based apps.
Appcelerator has partial support for commonjs and I've got your code running
with a few small alterations. I haven't been able to get the test suite
running due to issues with some of the modules from nodejs but it should be
doable with a bit of hacking.

The only things missing that would make this really useful are the ability
to persist the documents on the device and replication. I think that the
documents could potentially be stored using the Properties API which stores
key value pairs. Unfortunately the support for manipulating binary files is
lacking in Appcelerator so I think implementing the couch file format would
be impossible without implementing it in Objective-c and Java as native
extensions which is possible but I'd rather avoid writing platform specific
code if possible.

What are you thoughts about using your code for this purpose? Have you got
any thoughts about serialising the store?

Thanks again for sharing the code!

Tim