couchdb-user mailing list archives

From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: memcouchd...
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 22:01:41 GMT
> Anyway I was thinking that using your memcouchd it would be possible to
> create an embedded couch compatible db for use in Appclerator based apps.
> Appcelerator has partial support for commonjs and I've got your code running
> with a few small alterations. I haven't been able to get the test suite
> running due to issues with some of the modules from nodejs but it should be
> doable with a bit of hacking.
>
> The only things missing that would make this really useful are the ability
> to persist the documents on the device and replication. I think that the
> documents could potentially be stored using the Properties API which stores
> key value pairs. Unfortunately the support for manipulating binary files is
> lacking in Appcelerator so I think implementing the couch file format would
> be impossible without implementing it in Objective-c and Java as native
> extensions which is possible but I'd rather avoid writing platform specific
> code if possible.

Persistence, replication and _changes are what makes Couch what it is.
I wasn't thinking persistence at all for memcouchd, though at this
point (for a 2 day old project), it's anybody's guess where it's going
to go. If we can implement the _changes feed + replication without the
persistence, I can see memcouchd being a pure transient store that can
replicate at-will from the "real" couch.

BTW, Just committed a partial btree implementation to memcouchd:

https://github.com/pcapr/memcouchd/blob/master/lib/btree.js

Working on this during my free cycles, but with an order of 16, I just
saw 1 million [collated, obviously] inserts taking about 3 seconds on
my Mac. So one application I can see is pure number crunching for
in-memory, throw-away data with all the goodness of map/reduce.

K.
---
http://twitter.com/pcapr
http://labs.mudynamics.com/