couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Official Windows binaries for 1.0.2?
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:25:52 GMT
On 8 February 2011 08:48, Zdravko Gligic <zgligic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nikola,
>
> Could you and/or others please post the links to where the various
> binaries and/or corresponding installers are kept.  There seem to be
> several that I am not even aware of.
>
> Thanks again,
> Zdravko (#teslan)

Hi @,

Unofficial builds are linked to from the wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows

I've put up current ones recently at
https://github.com/dch/couchdb/downloads and so far feedback has been
positive in general with a couple of build issues fixed along the way.
I lack systems for testing so would love some more help.

There are 3 functional issues to my knowledge -

COUCHDB-1032 CouchDB fails to bind to IPv6 address on Windows --
shouldn't impact most users
COUCHDB-577 	couchdb @ winxp: Simple RegExp's can not be executed --
workaround available
COUCHDB-963 	Erlang processes crash when running the delayed_commits
test on Windows Server 2008 -- I've not succeeded in replicating this
& also a "won't fix" - can't replicate between 0.11.0 and 1.0.x -
upgrade is recommended in this case.

Questions:
- what other issues are people experiencing?
- what's your deployment base/platform - couch version, # users, # docs etc?

A few ideas:
- make a "WinCouch" like Jan's CouchDBX that has a firefox wrapper
around the outside of CouchDB. No idea if this is actually hard or
not.
- extend this to be a stand-alone app - start/stop buttons, displays
either futon GUI or your custom HTML which "of course" would be a
couchapp
- provide a build script so people can neatly package these homebrewed
apps up themselves without needing to build erlang from scratch

Other open CouchDB Windows-related jira cases below if you're curious.

The following do not impact functionality but are (slowly) getting
cleaned up as I get my head around things:

COUCHDB-889 	improved docs for windows compile from source in INSTALL.Windows
COUCHDB-851 	Windows build forces remake of files
COUCHDB-733 	INSTALL.Windows wording suggests it's OK for cygwin to
use /usr/bin/link. Is this intentional?
COUCHDB-695 	Windows release artefacts should not include test
database or log files
COUCHDB-694 	Windows `make dist` should create release artefacts in
the root source directory
COUCHDB-440 	Fix windows libname_spec hacks in configure.ac
COUCHDB-439 	Fix bogus $(INSTALL) of couchspawnkillable.exe on Windows
COUCHDB-326 	Occasional {"error":"error","reason":"eacces"} errors
deleting a database on Windows -- think this is now fixed since 0.11.0
COUCHDB-307 	windows drive letters in 'database_dir' breaks _all_dbs

A+
Dave