couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Johnson <>
Subject Re: How to make a Stock with CouchDB?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:27:20 GMT

What you need to be very careful of here is CouchDB lack of ACID transactions across multiple

The best thought of the top of my head would be one document per stock item and hold the usual
"parts master type data" in the document and then have an array of stock movement elements.
You could then use map / reduce to give you summary stock levels (on hand / on order etc)
in multiple locations. Each time you did something with a stock item you would add a new element
to the stock movements array.

That works but there are 3 problems.

Your stock item document could get very large very quickly depending on how many stock movements
you are going to have
As you would have to have up-to-date stock counts at all times you would potentially occur
a lot of overhead on queries because the map / reduce would have to do an update on every
query. This is the default buy it there is a lot of activity it will consume a fair bit of
If your are allocating multiple stock items to a work order then you are going to update multiple
documents and as CouchDB itself cannot wrap the update of several documents in a transaction
such that you get all the updates done or none of them you will have to program around this.

You can deal with items 1 and 2 by having one document per stock item per accounting period.
That keeps document sizes in check but you need a period end run (which you probably would
anyway) to create the next periods documents with the opening stock at each location.

Assuming each work order has a unique ID then item 3 isn't to hard to deal with you just record
the WO id in each stock movement record and check to see if the transaction for the WO exists
in the stock document before adding it to the array.

I think however this is just scratching the surface of the complexities.

Thats the best I can come up with.