couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:41:33 GMT
Dear CouchDB folks, developers, users,

I don't usually post business-y things here, but I think this one warrants an email.

I'm excited to announce that CouchOne, the company Damien, J Chris and I founded in late 2009,
is merging with the company Membase to become Couchbase. Together we will be developing a
product, also called Couchbase, that is based on CouchDB and Membase / memcached technology.
Our goal is to build a simple, fast and elastic database that's gonna kick some ass. I'll
leave the details of that for you to read on the websites we've put up — start here: http://www.couchbase.com/

Instead of dwelling on the merger or technology, I'd like to address likely questions about
the relationship between Couchbase and Apache CouchDB. It is simple, really: at CouchOne we
were 100% committed on the Open Source side of things and at Couchbase we will continue to
do so at the same degree. In terms of organisation, Couchbase will be it's own independent
Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached as dependencies, but adds  a few
things of its own that warrant being its own project. Our combined engineering team, led by
Damien, will continue to contribute to Apache CouchDB in the same way as we've been to date,
only more. I can't wait to share with you what we'll come up with :)

Thanks everybody for your support, past and future. The CouchDB community is by far my favourite
and I hope you will accept Couchbase as a new member of this community :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately, but I'd like to avoid
highjacking the list for this thread.

Cheers
Jan
--