couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: Filtered replication and separate design documents
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:17:51 GMT

On 28 Jan 2011, at 11:52, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Hello,
> We're researching a CouchDB setup involving a master CouchDB which has a database with
a complete dataset and several other CouchDB instances which should all receive their own
subset of the master database. I believe this is possible using filtered replication [0].
What we're wondering is this: is it possible for the non-master CouchDB databases to manage
their own design documents separately from the master CouchDB? They should get their documents
from the master CouchDB via filtered replication, but want to be able to have their own custom
views. Is this possible?

Yup :) — The replication target databases on the clients are just regular databases under
the full control of the client. You will be able to add new design docs or alter the existing
ones to your need (I'd go with the former in case the master updates its design docs to avoid

I hope this answers your question.