couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Woodward <m...@mattwoodward.com>
Subject Re: Writing View to Get Unique Values in Arrays Across Documents
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:16:04 GMT
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:

> I suggest checking the log file to get the actual error message or using an
> HTTP tool which will show you the error message properly (curl for instance)

Thanks--got sidetracked on this task the last couple of days but will
definitely do that.

Another wrinkle to this that may cause me to have to go another way anyway.

The data within the array that I want to get distinct values for looks like
this:
{"firstName":"Bob","lastName":"Smith","testimony":"Some long string of
text"}

So I may have several of those within the array.

The issue is, and I didn't think about this until I got the chance to take
another run at this issue today, I'd like to get back unique values of just
firstName and lastName across documents but not include the testimony field
in considering whether or not the value is unique. In other words I don't
want Bob Smith to come up as unique across documents simply because his
testimony in one document differs from that in another document.

Is that possible or do I need to rethink my document structure to better
handle this type of data?
--
Matthew Woodward
matt@mattwoodward.com

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint,
etc. as attachments.