couchdb-user mailing list archives

From John Nelson <john.b.nel...@chasingsparks.com>
Subject How many databases are too many?
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:06:52 GMT
TLDR: Does CouchDB (conspiring with the OS?) handle thousands of databases
well or should I use the tried-and-true-but-aggravating mapping on
[group_id, ...] or is there a better pattern that I am unfamiliar with?

I'm building a web application that is group-oriented, by which I mean that
each user is interested in documents produced only by the group to which
they belong. There is no sharing of information across groups at all.

Since these groups are completely isolated, it seems logical to house each
one there own database but this makes the side of me familiar with RDBMS
very uncomfortable. I found one blog post by John Wood which suggested that
there "appears to be no “penalty” for hosting many databases within the same
CouchDB server." However, in my case, there would be roughly 1,000 - 5,000
groups. From what I understand, each database is stored as the data file
plus various index files. This would mean there are thousands of file
handles -- it seems like a bad idea.

Thanks in advance, Johnny