couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Document Size
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:29:14 GMT
I'm reminded in IRC that this is probably TMI and Robert's response is
probably sufficiently accurate, but since I just typed this up, read
on if you'd like the full exposition.

-----

Okay. I just took another look at the code.
The database header is always written at intervals of 4KB, which means
every database *commit* will eventually result in an extension of the
database file to the next 4KB block.

If you run with delayed_commits, any writes that occur within one
second and fit within the same (4KB minus a couple dozen bytes for the
header) block should not extend the file unnecessarily. With delayed
commits turned off, writes issues by concurrent clients or using the
bulk document API will still be batched in a similar way, with a
single header written at the end.

I do not know of any work or patches that change this behavior.