couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu ☀ <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiple view requests
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:40:28 GMT
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Alex, I agree, it's awkward.  Note that CouchDB already supports POSTing to a view
to select several individual keys.  If I recall correctly that decision came down to the
fact that

> a) servers put limits on the length of a URL (in mochiweb at the time it was 8KB)
> b) GET requests with bodies are not well-supported
>
> so if a user wanted to select hundreds of keys from a view a POST seemed like the path
of least resistance.  This multi-query support wouldn't introduce any new weirdness in that
respect.  I'm open to alternatives, though I think the POST option would probably still go
forward because it's so similar to existing features.

Adam,

I do agree that all these limitations do exist in various
environments, but I'd say what is important for this discussion is if
they exist in the CouchDB environment.

What I actually mean by this is:

1. will anyone try to submit an 8k long GET from a browser? I highly
doubt that and I assume this scenario is most of the time happening
with a programmed client

2. is there an HTTP spec restriction related to the length of URIs? As
far as I know there isn't one.

3. is there an HTTP spec restriction related to GET body? As far as I
know there isn't one here either.

So, based on these I'd say that if CouchDB is able to handle long URIs
GETs and/or support GET bodies problem is solved.

:- alex

PS: I'm "lying" a bit here because there's also the problem of proxies
that we would need to look at :-).

Best,

> Adam
>
> On Jan 11, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:
>
>> While the feature sounds pretty useful there is something that I
>> couldn't stop thinking: a POST for a view?
>>
>> I know that sounds purist but on the other hand one of the highest
>> praised characteristics of CouchDB is its HTTPness. On the other hand
>> I'm not sure I see all the angles of this feature to come up with a
>> better proposal. Maybe we could discuss it on #irc and see if there're
>> better solutions (at least for the general cases).
>>
>> :- alex

>>> Hi Chad, I did some work on submitting multiple queries to a single view in one
POST to that view.  I'll try to clean it up and submit the patch this week.  Multiple queries
to different views in the same view group would be a straightforward extension internally,
but I'm not sure what the HTTP API would look like for that.  Queries to different view groups
should always require separate requests IMO.

>>> The case to track this would be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-523
- please feel free to comment, especially if the proposed feature doesn't meet your needs.
 Cheers,