couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiple view requests
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:07:24 GMT
Hi Alex, I agree, it's awkward.  Note that CouchDB already supports POSTing to a view to select
several individual keys.  If I recall correctly that decision came down to the fact that

a) servers put limits on the length of a URL (in mochiweb at the time it was 8KB)
b) GET requests with bodies are not well-supported

so if a user wanted to select hundreds of keys from a view a POST seemed like the path of
least resistance.  This multi-query support wouldn't introduce any new weirdness in that respect.
 I'm open to alternatives, though I think the POST option would probably still go forward
because it's so similar to existing features.  Best,

Adam

On Jan 11, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Alexandru Popescu ☀ wrote:

> While the feature sounds pretty useful there is something that I
> couldn't stop thinking: a POST for a view?
>
> I know that sounds purist but on the other hand one of the highest
> praised characteristics of CouchDB is its HTTPness. On the other hand
> I'm not sure I see all the angles of this feature to come up with a
> better proposal. Maybe we could discuss it on #irc and see if there're
> better solutions (at least for the general cases).
>
> :- alex
>

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Chad George wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any work being done on getting multiple views in a single HTTP
>>> request. I'm thinking of something similar to the multiple doc API.
>>>
>>> I just finished my first significant webapp with couchdb and one of the
>>> things that was a little annoying with a javascript client was all the
>>> nested async callbacks required to get all the data required for a
>>> particular function to process.
>>>
>>> Sometimes this was 3 or 4 nested view lookups, and gracefully handling
>>> errors is difficult. It would be much easier if I could pack them into a
>>> single async call to couchdb then handle errors or success just once.
>>>
>>> This isn't really a critical feature since it can be done with multiple
>>> requests, I'm not even sure it has the performance benefits that the
>>> multi-doc api has ... but it certainly would be handy to have around when we
>>> need it.
>>>

>>> - Chad
>>
>> Hi Chad, I did some work on submitting multiple queries to a single view in one POST
to that view.  I'll try to clean it up and submit the patch this week.  Multiple queries to
different views in the same view group would be a straightforward extension internally, but
I'm not sure what the HTTP API would look like for that.  Queries to different view groups
should always require separate requests IMO.

>> The case to track this would be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-523
- please feel free to comment, especially if the proposed feature doesn't meet your needs.
 Cheers,