couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions on _changes (again)
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:55:36 GMT
On Jan 28, 2011, at 11:47 AM, kowsik wrote:

> Messing with Couch _changes, trying to understand the inner workings.
> Here are some observations:
>
> If I add x documents and delete them and further compact the database,
> then it seems that fragments of these deleted documents are still kept
> around (for the _changes feed). Is this true?

Yes.

> I have an application that uses Couch as a message queue. Messages are
> posted, the _changes listeners pick them up, process them and when
> they are done, delete these messages. It looks like the deleted
> document fragments are kept around forever. The implications to me is
> that the database size is going to grow and grow even after
> compaction.
>
> Is there a way to tell Couch only to keep the last x changes?

The only way to remove all traces of a document from a database is to use _purge.  But that
has a bit of a nasty side-effect with view indexes - if you _purge twice without updating
the index in between the index will be rebuilt from scratch (because it loses track of what
it needs to remove).  Regards,

Adam