couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Krivanek <pavel.kriva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LivelyCouch - a framework around CouchDB and Node.js
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:37:44 GMT
Hi,

in XULRunner you can use HTML documents instead of XUL and they have
the same privileges as XUL ones. So you may try this thing:

>From http://code.google.com/p/xuljet/ download the latest archive and
use examples/helloworld directory as a template.

in the file defaults/preferences/prefs.js change the first line to the
actual starting html file:

pref("toolkit.defaultChromeURI", "chrome://myapp/content/index.html");

>From CouchDB copy the file couch.js
(/usr/share/couchdb/www/script/couch.js) to the chrome/content
directory

Create chrome/content/index.html and add <script
type="text/javascript" src="lib/couch.js"/> to the head section.

Then you may try something like

CouchDB.urlPrefix = "http://192.168.1.42:5984"
var db = new CouchDB("myDatabase");
alert(db.allDocs());

You cannot start witch external server address however you can use
XULRunner as a local provider that will get data server external web
server via Ajax and display.

Maybe you can use basic XUL document with a browser tag and use
browser tag inside
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XUL/browser#a-browser.type) with the
type "chrome". But I'm not sure if it will work well.

-- Pavel

couch.db.urlPrefix = "http://192.168.1.42:5984"
var db = new couch.db("adresy");

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:
> Florian Leitner wrote:
>
>> As I never used node.js, I gave it a look just now - and found
>> something rather worrying with respect to my needs: node.js does not
>> support Windows (natively, only via Cygwin), and after checking their
>> mailing list, it seems the developers behind node.js are not planning
>> any support for it, either - and not even much for their "Cygwin
>> port". So, essentially, a LivelyCouch app can only run on Mac and
>> Linux, right? (Not that I like or even support Windoze, but I assume
>> many users of a desktop-based application using CouchDB will...)
>
> I haven't looked into LivelyCouch, but AFAIK node.js is a server-side thing, so I guess
app end users can run whatever OS they like. If LivelyCouch is about using node.js on the
client side of things, then I might be wrong. :o)