couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@couchone.com>
Subject Re: Couchone backups?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 15:55:27 GMT
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Wordit Ltd <wordituk@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to do backups on Couchone and other hosting services?
>
> I realise I could replicate to another couch, but that means running
> couchdb on my own server as well...which partially defeats the object
> of using a hosting service.

I posted this question in Get Satisfaction:
http://getsatisfaction.com/couchone/topics/full_data_dumps_for_backup_or_migration

I'm happy have a CouchOne discussion there; however I'll share some of
my thoughts about a backup.

Firstly, as a very simple stopgap you can query
_all_docs?include_docs=true and at least you have the basic dump of
your database. Put that in cron and IMO that is good bang for the buck
in early stages when you have too many irons in the fire.

But a full couch backup facility would want to address at least these things:

1. Loop through _all_dbs and back up each database
2. Back up the _security objects in the databases
3. Back up the /_config object
4. Back up the log file
5. If storage is cheap, back up the .view indexes to reduce restore time

--
Jason Smith
CouchOne Hosting