couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Krivanek <pavel.kriva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and XULJet for development of desktop applications
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:56:33 GMT
Hi,

> Hi Pavel,
>
> I just read your post after my own, entitled "CouchDB/App, XHR, and
> the JavaScript Same Origin Policy". This sounds pretty interesting,
> especially your qoute about the Ajax issue and working around the Same
> Origin Policy. So, if this is a good tool to build desktop-based
> CouchDB apps, how platform-independent is it?

It is possible to run on every platform where Firefox works, so MacOS,
Windows and Linux are OK. Other processors should be ok too, if you
look at XULRunner Debian builds, it is supported by alpha amd64 arm
armel hppa i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc. I suppose that
other systems like BSD should work too. On the other hand, most of the
mobile platform are currently out of the game.

> Can I easily build tools
> that work equally well on OSX, Windows, and Linux without any "special
> case" checking, much like in a platform independent language?

XULRunner have some displaying issues, for example it doesn't show
lines in groupboxes on Linux. If some hacks will be necessary I expect
it will be solved inside the XULJet framework.

> Does it
> support any other platforms beyond those "big three"?

See above

> And, last, you
> write you can easily embed SVG and HTML - what about PDF files, can
> you view/display those through some plugin, maybe like the typical
> browser plugins?

I have no personal experience with it however it seem that it is possible:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/browse_thread/thread/d7f78f95d0185a79

-- Pavel