couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple DB Directories
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:06:14 GMT
Hi all,

The application I am building has a requirement that I would like to
explain.

The application runs on the users PC, and has a locally installed couch. I
am expecting the users to be amassing an every growing size of db. So for
each user there will come a time when they run out of space on the
partition/drive that has the /var/lib/couch db. Since this is a single user
app, I don't expect them at this point to do any fancy partitioning or
running more than one couch. But what I would like is to have a archive
feature in the app that will replicate older data to another local db. I
would like this db to be stored on a different partition or disk than the
main one. I imagine a user buying a usb drive or similar. Speed will not be
the issue (as it is archive data). I want them to be able to disconnect from
the usb drive if they wish and for couch to keep running of the main db.

So to accomplish this, I ask, can we configure couch to have multiple db
dirs?

eg:

[couchdb]
database_dir = ../var/lib/couchdb, /mount/somewherehuge

or

[couchdb]
database_dir = ../var/lib/couchdb, G:\archive

I guess this might also overflow to the view_index_dir.

I would like the solution to be cross platform, which limits windows poor
folder linking. The app level seems a better solution.

Any ideas on this?