couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Richard Metzler <rich...@eaglefeed.me>
Subject Re: simple use cases for couch db
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:45:43 GMT
When I think for usecases of CouchDB I tend to think in *documents*.
After all, CouchDB is a document oriented database. So everything that would
require me to use a sheet of paper to accomplish a certain task in the real
world should easily map to a document in CouchDB.

But there are some limitations in CouchDB that make it hard to write certain
real world applications. One of it is the absence of privacy restriction on
document level. (see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4101962/restricting-resource-access-in-couchdb-to-exactly-2-users
)

I read that you are working in a large enterprise and I had the idea of a webapp
for applying for holidays/vacation. You basically have a calender and users can
apply for taking days off and their supervisor has to approve it.
Creating the basic app would be quite easy but modeling the security
restrictions might need an extra application layer.