couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chad George <c...@mgproducts.com>
Subject local test server for couchapps
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 23:47:14 GMT
Is there any interest (or current work) out there for a test server
environment for couchapps.

Basically my idea is to prevent having to do a "couchapp push" for every
little change to an attachment on the design document.
Originally I thought about having couchapp auto-push ... but that'll make a
lot of unnecessary pushes (and might leave an actively running server in a
broken state)

So I've started to write a little python script that runs a local web server
directly on top of the couchapp source directory structure.
The idea is to statically serve all the attachments of the design document
directly from the file system. For everything else (documents, views, shows,
lists, etc) I silently proxy to the running couchdb server. The combined
effect is that the client sees the exact same URL structure on the test
server as the real couchdb server.

Right now the implementation is very simple, but it has a thread-pooled
request handler and uses 'keep-alive' connections for proxying to couchdb so
the overall load time for a complex page isn't noticeably more than
accessing the same page with couchdb directly.

And it really makes developing client side couchapps a lot more relaxing :)

I'm curious if people think this is something worth adding to couchapp
itself?

- Chad