couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Keith Gable <ziggythehams...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: content / attachment scanning
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:50:44 GMT
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM, bacco77@libero.it <bacco77@libero.it> wrote:
> I was wondering whether Couch-Db has anything for visurs scanning while uploading attachments.
> I don't know, something like a Symantec remote service,configurable, etc. And a quarantine
to put those files checked positive.

On CouchDB, you'd do this in your application before attaching the
file. Ideally, you'd have CouchDB set up in such a way that a virus
would not be able to do any damage if, for some reason, it executed. I
personally use Grsecurity to accomplish this on my production servers
(which aren't running CouchDB but should work with CouchDB).

If you wanted to use CouchDB to host a virus database, then you'd want
to store a property for if it was scanned and the result of the scan.
Just having a file attached isn't going to "infect" a computer. You
have to execute the program, and I'm not sure that CouchDB stores
attachments in such a way that it would be possible to do that.