couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael <newmani...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write race conditions, working without _rev
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:44:11 GMT
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the second case, the second person to write the document wins,
> erasing any changes the first write's effects. The first writer will
> then be in a state where his view of the database will be
> inconsistent. The thing his, he can't know because without requiring a
> _rev token he'll never get a notification of any sort of error.

True, that is one workflow. I am not too concerned however about
updates trampling each other each update does not care about previous
revisions. This isn't people updating objects, but applications  To be
honest, I will catch the conflict and just ignore it because the data
then is "new enough", however if I wanted the newest data, I would
have to have:

Read object to get rev
Try save
if resource conflict:
    read object for rev again
    try save
    if resource conflict:
        assume newer data and pass

If that happens, I have 4 different hits to the database for nothing.
On a multithreaded server, this would happen quite frequently.

In my workflow, the ideal situation would be to write once, without a
read, and for Couch to just accept the change in order.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Michael