couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: local test server for couchapps
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:15:21 GMT
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Chad George <chad@mgproducts.com> wrote:
> Okay, I have things working well enough to share with anybody whose
> interested. Its still pretty rough and it doesn't pass the entire Futon test
> suite yet. But most of the tests pass and Futon itself seems to work, so its
> probably useful for most client side couchapp development even without
> passing all the tests.
>
> Once I have most of the test suite working, this project will probably only
> get developed as I need features or from input from others. So feel free to
> give comments, suggestions or patches.
>
> https://github.com/cgeorge/couchapp-utils
>
> Also, this is the first time I've started any kind of open-source software
> project so let me know if I'm doing something wrong and I'll try to fix it.
>
> - Chad
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Alan Plante <alan.plante@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also feel that the push slows me down when working on my javascript. You
>> could also just use something like Fiddler (or Charles probably) to
>> redirect
>> to local filesystem.  See this post here:
>> http://alan-plante.blogspot.com/2010/10/newbie-couchapp-developer.html
>>
>> Al
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Chad George <chad@mgproducts.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there any interest (or current work) out there for a test server
>> > environment for couchapps.
>> >
>> > Basically my idea is to prevent having to do a "couchapp push" for every
>> > little change to an attachment on the design document.
>> > Originally I thought about having couchapp auto-push ... but that'll make
>> > lot of unnecessary pushes (and might leave an actively running server in
>> > broken state)
>> >
>> > So I've started to write a little python script that runs a local web
>> > server
>> > directly on top of the couchapp source directory structure.
>> > The idea is to statically serve all the attachments of the design
>> document
>> > directly from the file system. For everything else (documents, views,
>> > shows,
>> > lists, etc) I silently proxy to the running couchdb server. The combined
>> > effect is that the client sees the exact same URL structure on the test
>> > server as the real couchdb server.
>> >
>> > Right now the implementation is very simple, but it has a thread-pooled
>> > request handler and uses 'keep-alive' connections for proxying to couchdb
>> > so
>> > the overall load time for a complex page isn't noticeably more than
>> > accessing the same page with couchdb directly.
>> >
>> > And it really makes developing client side couchapps a lot more relaxing
>> :)
>> >
>> > I'm curious if people think this is something worth adding to couchapp
>> > itself?
>> >
>> > - Chad
>> >

>> --
>> Alan Plante
>> alan.plante@gmail.com
>> h: 508-257-1020  |  c: 508-272-4945  | f: 508-203-5172

I think that rather than wrapping couchapp you could extend it using
the extension system, so maybe by adding a "runtest" command,
something like it:

http://couchapp.org/page/couchapp-extend

I tried another approach after the couchcamp allowing you to "mount" a
couchapp dir in couchdb under a virtual _design doc. Which is mostly
working, but I need to handle views & such. I'm not sure I will
continue this approach though.

Also in my todo list is a "check" command using jslint.

- benoît