couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Mark J. Reed" <markjr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bulk Updates in CouchDB
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:13:32 GMT
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Karel Minařík <karel.minarik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, but only for the doc attribute specified in `foo`. Then you'd have to
> define views for all the attributes you want to query this way, which is
> "impossible" for large and/or fast growing data sets. Or what am I missing?

You could use a temporary view, where the query specifies the view
instead of having it predefined, but then you take a serious
performance hit as it populates the view at query-time instead of in
advance.

CouchDB is optimized for applications where you know ahead of time
exactly what your queries will look like, and in such cases it
executes those queries blindingly fast.  But it's not really designed
for ad-hoc querying.  If you want that sort of flexibility, you may
want to:

1) look at adding couchdb-solr to your deployment

2) use a different data store, either

  a) a more flexible NoSQL solution, like MongoDB, which has very
powerful ad-hoc query and update capabilities, or even

  b) an RDBMS, reports of whose death have been somewhat exaggerated
by the NoSQL community..

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>