couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Orr <>
Subject Re: simple use cases for couch db
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 05:58:07 GMT
I've been using it for querying read only data, specifically car data. So I
see it as being really useful for storing factual data (catalogs) that
doesn't change, because once a 2010 Toyota Camry is released it never
becomes a 2009 Jeep Cherokee. The applications I'm involved in use car data
for getting specs, proving information to users, being able to calculate
various things and all of this is read and map/reduce is awesome for this
use case. Having a single document for a single car as a single document and
using map/reduce provides instant totals in comparison to MySQL joins...

If you have fairly static dataset (where once an document is created it
doesn't change except for typos) couchdb + map/reduce is really great :)