couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zachary Zolton <zachary.zol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few questions about CouchDB
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:09:08 GMT
Hi,

> 1) How are people doing reporting on CouchDB based data? Obviously I can
> write custom code to do it, but are there any report writers (eg Crystal
> Reports) that are suitable for quasi-technical end user use?

Haven't heard of any Crystal Reports-like tool for CouchDB, but
there's nothing stopping you from writing a script to watch the
_changes feed and keep a reporting SQL table in sync. Depends on what
your needs are.

CouchDB-Lucene has been sufficient for my ad hoc querying needs, I bet
someone could make a nice reporting tool around it.

> 2) Transaction semantics with replication. Does "committed" mean it is
> committed across all databases we are replicating to?

Committed mean written to the database file for the node against which
you PUT your document. Waiting for a newly-written doc to get pushed
out to each replication client, before responding to the writer,
sounds like it would be a scalability problem to me.

Cheers,

Zach