couchdb-user mailing list archives

From David Rose <dopp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: simple use cases for couch db
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 04:43:03 GMT
At SXSW, we started using CouchDB last fall because we needed to
create an API for 3rd-party developers to write mobile apps using our
event schedule data. So we copied the needed data from a collection of
legacy databases into a CouchDB, threw in a few views, and, voila... a
fast, well-documented, easy-to-use API. Now, a year later, we've
stopped using the legacy databases altogether, in favor of putting the
data straight into the CouchDB. In-house, we're re-writing our the
apps that drove the schedule portion of our website to use the same
API that our 3rd-party developers are using.

David Rose

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Andy <andrhahn@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So Ive been obsessively reading about and researching CouchDB over the past couple weeks.
 I even wrote my own Java client since the ones on the market weren't up to my standards
:)  I've probably read 200 articles on google explaining the downsides to CouchDB.  I've
read the Use Cases on Couch.io.  Ive read Jan's book, 10 times.  And still I have this one
overwhelming question - what can I use it for???

> Im a java developer.  I work in a large enterprise but I also do lots of home projects.
 At work we use Oracle with Hibernate for Java ORM.  At home I use MySQL.  For attachments
I use a CDN.  Can anyone explain what real uses I could use CouchDB for?  Does it help reporting,
does it let me index info for that little search bar on most sites, etc?  It sounds like
it isn't great for reporting since people are mixing it with Solr and Lucene and Elastic Search,
correct?  It would be cool to write a site with no middleware (php, java, etc) but I dont
plan on doing that anytime soon.  I did just read a great thesis on that though :)  The
offline access feature will be huge one day.

> Its people like me that kinda like what we hear, we know we love REST and JSON and built
in http server, the replication and clustering and load balancing honestly doesn't mean that
much to me.  The no transactions freaks me out, so does the no ad-hoc querying, but I'd love
to learn more.  I would like to use it if I just knew for what.  Just a few simple use cases
that aren't super specific to someones bizarre business process.  How has it helped you?
 Sorry, Ive been waiting all week to ask this question.  I REALLY think this is a great
community and I can't wait to learn more and help promote the uses of this technology.  Thanks-