couchdb-user mailing list archives

From roger.moff...@gmail.com
Subject Design considerations
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:17:24 GMT
I've been following recent threads with interest as I'm pretty new to couch
but loving it's simplicity and power right now. One project I'm considering
it for would use couch as a central document store for circa 10,000 users
but each user may see a different "slice" of the full dataset (lets assume
the total number of documents is ~ 10m). These slices would overlap - user 1
might have anything from 0% to 99% of the documents in common with user 2.

I'm assuming from the couch security model that my approach should be to
have a different database for each user? But I have a couple of queries;

1) Is this approach valid?
2) Are there any downsides to the database per user approach (apart from the
obvious [and potentially vast] disk space duplication)?
3) Does the COPY command work across databases - ie can I use it to give a
user access to material from a central repository
4) Is there a better way?

FYI It's a system I've previously built with SQL and the permissions side of
things (who has access to what) was always a right pain in the neck - so
much so that we were considering a database per user even then.

Thanks in advance
Roger