couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org>
Subject Re: Banking Recipe
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:42:00 GMT
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> "If you really need transactions in the classical, RDBMS sense, where
> you need to update a bunch of related records in one atomic operation,
> then CouchDB is not for you."
>
> I think that's a little overstated. Instead, realize that updates to a
> document are atomic, and therefore you should model your transactions
> as documents.

Sure, that is exactly the point of the banking recipe, and I believe
Andy -- the original poster -- got it, but he felt it the model was
unsuitable to the kinds of transactional apps he had in mind, and
perhaps he is right.

If one can model every transaction as a single document POST, great.
Not all applications can be bent to work that way.

--
Luciano Ramalho
programador repentista || stand-up programmer