couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chad George <c...@mgproducts.com>
Subject Re: First doc in a group?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:52:50 GMT
Selecting one row in a view out of many possible isn't what reduce is for.

I try not to think of it as reducing a set of view results to a smaller set
but rather reducing each and every entry in the view to something smaller.

The fact that reduce gets multiple view rows to work on at once is just an
optimization. I think its better to think of reduce as working on exactly
one view row at a time then rereduce the result to get final answer.