Hi,

I am totally new to CouchDB and am facing some problems in installing and running it from source on Ubuntu 9.04.

I have checked out the source from

Repository Root: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
Revision: 1024539

Referred the link http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/source.html for installing. During installation i faced a make error:
/usr/bin/erlc  mochiglobal.erl
./mochiglobal.erl:36: type boolean() undefined
Changed boolean() to bool() and the installation was a success. Note that i know nothing of erlang, so am not 100% sure if this was the correct thing to do.

After having added the couchdb user and applying the right permissions, i am running the couchdb server as
#sudo -i -u couchdb couchdb -b
got the message
Apache CouchDB has started, time to relax.

but upon checking the log i found an error during the couchdb startup which is available in the attached log file. In brief:
{errorContext,start_error},
      {reason,shutdown},
      {offender,
          [{pid,undefined},
           {name,couch_secondary_services},
           {mfa,{couch_server_sup,start_secondary_services,[]}},
           {restart_type,permanent},
           {shutdown,infinity},
           {child_type,supervisor}]}]}}

After this, my browser cannot load Futon (http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/index.html), unable to establish the connection to localhost.
I am currently not sure whether this is a problem with my IP settings or an issue with the couchdb server. I google'd quite a lot but was unable to get to anything concrete. Any help with this will be highly appreciated.

Another question i have which is not related to the above problem is that, i am interested to know the 'backend' to couchdb documents. Forgive me if i sound stupid or something, but i'd like to know how couchdb stores the persistent data -- does it back-end to something similar to SQLite  or just plain text files? Where can i find these persistent files under a Linux installation?

Request help for the 2 questions above. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ankur