couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Pemsel <apem...@gmail.com>
Subject Spontaneous reindex and View Group Indexer Finishing taking a long time
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:36:36 GMT
Hi,

We use CouchDB for generating community and user feeds of our small social
network since a couple of months with great success and performance.
Yesterday however we noticed a strange behavior on our staging and live
systems we do not yet fully understand. After a design document change all
views were warmed so all indexes were recreated in a reasonable amount of
time (couple of minutes), as expected. During the following testing CouchDB
occasionally reindexed the whole design document again instead of doing
incremential updates to the index as usual, which of course is a bad thing
to happen on a live system. We are not yet sure what triggered this and
cannot reproduce the behavior in a deterministic way, but it might have to
do with deleting single documents (I will keep you updated on any new
discoveries). We also noticed that while the PROCESSING phase of the reindex
again happened with reasonable speed, VIEW GROUP INDEXER was in the
"FINISHING" state for a very long time (more than 5 minutes), blocking all
views.
My questions are:

1. Under which conditions apart from a design document change would CouchDB
reindex the whole view group instead of an incremental update?
2. Is there a common mistake that causes the reindex to hang for a long time
in the FINISHING state.

A bit more background info: This happened on both 1.0.0 with delayed_commits
false as well as on 1.0.1 with delayed_commits on. The views are rather
complicated maps with multiple emits but with simple "_sum" reduces.

This might just as well be a bug in our code so no offence meant to the
fantastic couchdb community ;-) Thanks for your help,

Adrian
--
http://www.jusmeum.de