couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB namespace mechanism
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:18:07 GMT
Depending on whether you put the %2F in the document id or the database name
the results are different. Using it in the db name will create multiple
databases, but using it in the filename just gives you a sort of namespacing
on documents.

For example:
/mydb/users%2Fuser-1
On Oct 19, 2010 9:10 AM, "Simon Metson" <simonmetson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> That's the same as multiple databases, the subdirectories just
> reflect how Couch writes the data to disk IIRC, so they're handy if
> you have lots of data and want to do clever things with your disk (or
> something... ;)). You could do that with the document id's, but you'd
> still need a view to separate them out, and it's arguably easier to
> have a docType or similar attribute that you differentiate on.
> Cheers
> Simon
>
> On 19 Oct 2010, at 15:52, Dan Himes wrote:
>
>> Could you not also put them in subdirectories by including a '/' (%2F)
>> in their names? Warning: It's likely that I do not understand this
>> properly.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 15:09 +0100, Simon Metson wrote:
>>
>>> Or put each type of data in it's own database, without knowing what
>>> you want to do with the different documents it's hard to say
>>> definitively. If you need to deal with your name spaced data at the
>>> same time (which I guess from your example you do) then a view is the
>>> way to go, if they're orthogonal to one another (you need to store
>>> three unrelated, distinct data types) then a separate DB is the way
>>> go.
>>> Cheers

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Introduction_to_CouchDB_views

http://localhost:5984/mydb/