couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ankur Verma <>
Subject CouchDB starup problem and query on persistent data store.
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:04:58 GMT

I am totally new to CouchDB and am facing some problems in installing and
running it from source on Ubuntu 9.04.

I have checked out the source from

Repository Root:
Revision: 1024539

Referred the link for installing.
During installation i faced a make error:
*/usr/bin/erlc  mochiglobal.erl*
*./mochiglobal.erl:36: type boolean() undefined*
Changed boolean() to bool() and the installation was a success. Note that i
know nothing of erlang, so am not 100% sure if this was the correct thing to

After having added the couchdb user and applying the right permissions, i am
running the couchdb server as
*#sudo -i -u couchdb couchdb -b*
got the message
*Apache CouchDB has started, time to relax.*
but upon checking the log i found an error during the couchdb startup which
is available in the attached log file. In brief:

After this, my browser cannot load Futon (, unable to establish the connection
to localhost.
I am currently not sure whether this is a problem with my IP settings or an
issue with the couchdb server. I google'd quite a lot but was unable to get
to anything concrete. Any help with this will be highly appreciated.

Another question i have which is not related to the above problem is that, i
am interested to know the 'backend' to couchdb documents. Forgive me if i
sound stupid or something, but i'd like to know how couchdb stores the
persistent data -- does it back-end to something similar to SQLite  or just
plain text files? Where can i find these persistent files under a Linux

Request help for the 2 questions above. Many thanks in advance.

View raw message