couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: RavenDB comparison
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:41:22 GMT
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 13:19, Oliver Boermans <boermans@gmail.com> wrote:
> A cursory dig suggests CouchDB is more mature, with a larger community
> to support it. That aside, what do you consider to be the significant
> differences?

>From a quick look at the website and the two or three posts on his
weblog about differences between Couch and Raven, I don't see much of
a material difference. The differences all seem relatively
superficial. I'm not sure what on-disk structure it uses, though, or
if it tries to keep things in memory; I suppose those are things that
matter, but I couldn't easily find them on the website. There seems to
be less emphasis on scaling across nodes than in CouchDB, and it seems
to rely heavily on LINQ (and favor other things from the .NET
technology space). Given CouchDB's community, it seems to me like
Raven would only be interesting if you are into .NET technology
already, and even then I don't really see anything that would make me
want to use it over Couch.

Cheers,

Dirkjan