couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tracy Flynn <>
Subject Re: JavaScript and CouchDB
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:58:59 GMT

You might consider the work-around offered by jQuery 1.4.x to the same-origin problem.

In a nutshell, they package all Ajax-like requests as a request for a resource - think image
or javascript file - which does NOT have the limitations of the same-origin policy - and then
'unpack' the result and make it available to the client as if the 'Ajax-like' request had
been issued directly.

A fragment like the following does the trick

    <title>JSON Call Test Page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://localhost:8080/javascripts/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://localhost:8080/javascripts/json2.min.js"></script>

 <script type="text/javascript">
     $(document).ready(function() {
         $.getJSON("http://localhost:8080/some.js" ,

The call that services the 'some.js' request just needs to return whatever JSON data you want
the call to return. Since it's requesting a resource, and not really making an Ajax call -
all is well.

If HTML isn't what you want, you could pass back Javascript embedded in a JSON structure,
and then evaluate the result. I've done that successfully too.

Works like a charm where I've used the facility.

On Oct 15, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> You'll need to read up on the Same Origin Policy:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Fabio Batalha C Santos Santos
> <> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> I'm newby in couchDB.
>> I'm trying to develop a "Google Analytics" like applications storing access log
>> metadata in a CouchDB database. Take a look at
>> The idea is:
>> Create a logger JavaScript that will be responsible to register all accesslog
>> metadata in a CouchDB database. It works like the ga.js Google Anaytics. In the
>> bottom of each page will hava a call to a JavaScript function that will make use
>> of couch.js functions to register logaccess metadata in CouchDB
>> The problem:
>> I'm trying to make use of the couch.js script but the couch.js on works if the
>> request is made from the same host and port were the CouchDB is installed.
>> Instead of it, my application is in a different host. How can I configure the
>> connection to the couchDB using the couch.js
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Fabio Batalha

View raw message