couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ian Hobson <ian.hob...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Re: Optimal _id Length
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:42:13 GMT
On 29/10/2010 09:40, Zdravko Gligic wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> (1) How long can _id value be?
If it will handle anything longer than a UUID - and that would be easy
to test with a running system - then I expect there is no practical limit.
> (2) Is there an optimal length - performance wise ?
Yes - its what fits your application best.

Any performance change from optimisation will be so small it will be
hard to measure. The costs of complicating your app to do it, however
will be *much* larger and easy to measure.

Regards

Ian