couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject Proxy missing path component
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:34:36 GMT
  Hi,

For security reasons, our administrators want to put couchdb behind an
Apache proxy.  The setup right now basically provides an externally
visible URL of the form
     http://proxymachine/couch/myapp
which maps to the internal URL
     http://couchmachine/myapp

Part of the security point is that the proxy only allows GET requests,
while people behind the firewall can send PUT, POST, or DELETE to the
internal machine.  The extra "couch" path component was inserted on the
proxy because it also works as a server for a variety of different
applications with different stuff going on behind the firewall.

The problem, of course, is that the current configuration fails.  My
application relies on the "couch.js" script via a call like
     db = CouchDB("myapp")
which results in internal references that look like
     /myapp/_design/basic/_view/whatever
These end up returning a "404 Not Found" error because the proxy machine
tries to access
     http://proxymachine/myapp/_design/basic/_view/whatever
Since the "couch" path component is missing, the proxy server does not
rewrite the call, and so the request fails.

Is there a way to fix this so that the same javascript will run on both
the proxy server and the internal server?

Thanks for any advice,
     Kevin