couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Julian Moritz <maili...@julianmoritz.de>
Subject Re: *Best* query server for text processing
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:15:16 GMT
Hi Randall,

Am Dienstag, den 26.10.2010, 14:57 -0700 schrieb Randall Leeds:
> JS is pretty friendly for string manipulation. It's got regex, some
> good string methods and, of course, native handling of string types. I
> can't imagine C/C++ would be the first choice here (though with the
> right string handling libraries I'm sure you could make something
> super perfomant). Not sure if there's a perl view server, but that
> sounds like a good match. Consider development time and what you're
> familiar with. The JS view server is probably the most mature because
> it's the only "official" one next to writing "native" Erlang.

no, it's not a question about dev time, because a useless software is a
useless software, even if developed in 10 secs. I also don't care about
official or not official view server, hence I'm using the very stable
python view server by default.

Additionally I've got a degree in computer science, so writing a simple
string parsing function in a language I haven't used before should be
not that large problem. A problem is to learn erlang, I would like avoid
that, because I think it's not very good at string processing.

So this is only a question about resource usage / performance.

Regards
Julian