couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mirko Kiefer <mirko.kie...@arcor.de>
Subject Re: CouchDB on iPhone
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:17:01 GMT
I didn't mean that design documents in general are an issue, without them CouchDB wouldn't
make much sense. Apple just doesn't allow to download executable code into your app - all
updates need to happen through the app store. This probably means that design documents need
to be included in your app download and syncing limited to "normal" documents. It shouldn't
really be an issue though - every time you need to update your design document you can just
push a new release into the app store.
Of course it would be great if Apple included a CouchDB instance running as a service on iOS
- but chances are low that anyone is going to convince them ;)

On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Op 14 sep 2010, om 10:13 heeft Mirko Kiefer het volgende geschreven:
>
>> has anyone an idea on how difficult it would be to create a CouchDB installation
which could be bundled with an iOS app? Is it maybe possible to reuse some of the work done
for CouchDB on Android?
>> As Apple made quite a few changes to the App Store License Agreement I don't think
there are any legal issues anymore. The only problem might be that CouchDB allows to download
executable code in the form of design documents - so this feature shouldn't be used for iOS
apps.

> Would you really call design documents 'executable code'? It's not like a design document
can do anything on the phone except things like transforming data in a database. It's all
constrained to CouchDB's behavior. Sounds more like configuration than executable code to
me.

> I hear the guys doing the C64 emulator app for iPhone are even putting the BASIC interpreter
back into the upcoming version.

> CouchDB without design documents is pretty boring by the way.
>
> I wonder if embedding CouchDB in an app is really the way to go. Wouldn't it be nice
to have just one CouchDB on your phone and other apps talking to that CouchDB instance? Too
bad there is no dependency management in the App Store (so CouchDB would automatically be
installed when installing your first application using CouchDB as its backend) and saying
"Please start CouchDB!" on the startup screen might not going to be accepted.

> Of course (HTML/JS) applications can also be part of CouchDB instead of the other way
around: CouchApps! (Which are actually just design documents.)