couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ben Damman <ben.dam...@gmail.com>
Subject Using _update function on a design document
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:33:26 GMT
Hi everyone.

Exactly how "special" are design documents and what can and can't one do
with them? And why are certain restrictions placed on them?

I am trying to write an update function that will make changes to design
documents. This doesn't seem to work in v1.0.1 but I think it would be a
useful feature. Or maybe I am doing something wrong.

This request:

  PUT /db/_design/evil/_update/test/_design%2Fdoc1?field=shows

raises:

  new TypeError("doc has no properties", "")

I would love to be able to do clever things with them in views, lists,
shows, updates, update validations, etc. And are design doc conflicts
handled identically to regular doc conflicts?

Being able to dynamically manipulate design docs would give couchapps
magical reflection capabilities. Thoughts? Concerns?

Ben Damman
Google Twin Ports core team member
www.googletwinports.com