couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: purely curious - couch/spidermonkey vs node/v8
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 06:17:48 GMT
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM, andy e <virtualandy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got no real issue or concern, was just purely curious and was
> thinking about couch's use of SpiderMonkey as the JS engine tonight.
>
> Is there a reason why couchdb uses spidermonkey, vs v8 (as node.js is
> using)? Is it license related? Too much work for too little gain? Was
> V8 not around when choosing an engine (likely, given the timelines...I
> think)?
>
> Anyway, just curious.
>
> thanks,
>
> andy

Mostly it's history related. CouchDB used Spidermonkey before V8 even
existed. Reasons for sticking with Spidermonkey involve packaging and
multi-threading. V8 being newer doesn't have packages available on
semi recent distributions. I don't have my netbook awake so I can't
check that it even has one for Ubuntu 10.04. I know that node.js
packages an entire V8 source checkout as part of the distribution
which package managers are not fond of. Also AFAIK, its not yet got
multi-threading support. The current CouchDB use doesn't require this,
but there are a couple different experiments running that do. There's
also (again, IIRC) no support for E4X which has been
semi-officially-kinda-sorta-expected in the CouchDB interpreter for
things like generating RSS feeds.

But bottom line, it was deemed the best engine when it was chosen and
a couple things have evolved such that it'll be hard to move away
until one of the other engines catches up in multiple categories.

HTH,
Paul Davis