couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Locale and rule based view collation
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:21:15 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Noah Diewald <noah.diewald@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there were any plans to make use of more of the ICU
> collation API in CouchDB.
>
> I'm using CouchDB to make natural language documentation software and
> it seems like a shame that I might have to use ICU for creating sort
> keys to get sort orders right for view keys in certain languages when
> ICU is already used internally by CouchDB. It kind of looks like
> something could be added in at about the same place as the option for
> case or no case collations in couch_icu_driver.c but I feel under
> qualified to play around with it. I think that having an option in the
> view to specify collation customization would be really great and it
> must be something that even people working with less obscure languages
> than I am could benefit from.

we definitely plan to make this configurable, just a matter of writing
code. for now there might be a way to set it on a per-server-instance
basis with environment variables. I am no expert on the topic, but I
vaguely recall someone mentioning this possibility.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net