couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ido Ran <ido....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB The Definitive Guide - Part III
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:51:27 GMT
Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing that.
I actually got to CouchDB through reading about MongoDB.
I mostly do desktop application using C# in the client side and J2EE on the
server side.
I did some ASP and ASP.NET applications in the past, never ruby though.

I see eye to eye with you about CouchApp are design documents, but there is
something more - there is the ability to run server side code "inside"
CouchDB.
The ability to have both Application server and Database server as the same
platform is what look interesting to me.
It for sure does not fit any application out there, but there are many
application that can benefit from this architecture.

I have a pretty simple application I'm trying to build (both to have it and
to learn CouchDB). The application is like a "gateway" to PicasaWeb albums.
It will have hierarchical directory like structure to organize the albums
(something not available in PicasaWeb) and will later just redirect you to
PicasaWeb for album view.
It should be "pure web" application, not activeX, flash, silverlight, just
HTML, JavaScript, CSS.
I try to use SproutCore for that but there is always the question of "where
to store the data". It is nice that SproutCore is server agnostic, but
eventually I need to put the data somewhere.
CouchDB look like better fit because it has both backend database as well as
web serving abilities.
BTW, I saw there are efforts to "merge" SproutCore and CouchDB. I think if
I'll be able to publish SproutCore application the same was I publish
CouchApp it will be one great piece of platform.

Thank you again and keep it up :)

Ido