couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Filtering of view results
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:40:43 GMT
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 14:11, J Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:

> I could show you a complicated way to achieve the API you are asking for, using _list
functions, but it would be slow, so I won't.

> Chris

This is the essential point. Indices will make things fast at the
expense of disk space. Since documents are only passed to the view
server once per design doc (or "view group") it shouldn't be much more
expensive (computationally) to compute four indices instead of just
one (most of the overhead is serialization to/from the view server).
You should probably just use four views. It will use more disk space
and strain your disk a bit more when updating the view, but the
community can help you with scale-out if it becomes a bottleneck
(e.g., sharding).

Randall