couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About futon admin console
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:12:21 GMT
Two reasons. The first is that I think it will complicate the code base even
more than it is now. The less abstractions we have the easier it will be for
new people to read the code and see how the CouchDB API workss.

The second reason is that it's not a very good fit. Futon can't actually be
a couchapp because it has to relate to multiple databases and we're doing
more and more to try and limit the access a couchapp has to databases other
than it's own and special databases like _users, _replicator, etc.

Evently also does a ton of stuff that scopes it's objects to the design doc
and database it's served under. Futon doesn't have a ddoc, it's just a bunch
of html and javascript served our of _utils as static files.

The new futon is just sammy.js to handler url -> function routing and then a
lot of raw jQuery and $.ajax calls. The idea is to keep it fast and "close
to the metal" and try to parallelize as many things as we can so that you
can interact with any page while it's still doing queries to fill in more
content.

You can check it out here:

http://github.com/mikeal/couchdb/tree/sammy

-Mikeal