couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: CouchDB on iPhone
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:02:26 GMT

Op 14 sep 2010, om 10:13 heeft Mirko Kiefer het volgende geschreven:

> has anyone an idea on how difficult it would be to create a CouchDB installation which
could be bundled with an iOS app? Is it maybe possible to reuse some of the work done for
CouchDB on Android?
> As Apple made quite a few changes to the App Store License Agreement I don't think there
are any legal issues anymore. The only problem might be that CouchDB allows to download executable
code in the form of design documents - so this feature shouldn't be used for iOS apps.

Would you really call design documents 'executable code'? It's not like a design document
can do anything on the phone except things like transforming data in a database. It's all
constrained to CouchDB's behavior. Sounds more like configuration than executable code to
me.

I hear the guys doing the C64 emulator app for iPhone are even putting the BASIC interpreter
back into the upcoming version.

CouchDB without design documents is pretty boring by the way.

I wonder if embedding CouchDB in an app is really the way to go. Wouldn't it be nice to have
just one CouchDB on your phone and other apps talking to that CouchDB instance? Too bad there
is no dependency management in the App Store (so CouchDB would automatically be installed
when installing your first application using CouchDB as its backend) and saying "Please start
CouchDB!" on the startup screen might not going to be accepted.

Of course (HTML/JS) applications can also be part of CouchDB instead of the other way around:
CouchApps! (Which are actually just design documents.)

Nils.