couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Sinclair-Day <msd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scalability of _changes api?
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:13:31 GMT
On 8/6/10 at 4:38 PM, tsharif@mymedify.com (Talib Sharif) wrote:

>Hey All,
>
>Do people have experience with the scalability and performance
>of the _changes api in general, and especially when using with filters?
>
>How many connections can be kept open?
>
>And is the changes api function of size/updates/total_no_documents?
>
>Thanks,
>Talib

Talib,

I'm in the middle of characterizing a scaling problem with
_changes and a JS filter.  Basically, under steady load of
approximately 50 new docs per second, the number of couchjs
processes increases until it tops out around 100 and the
document insert rate slows considerably.  beam CPU% increases to
around 60%.  After 24 hours, with load turned off, the system
does not recover.  This is a Solaris 10/intel system.

There are five databases, and a single change listener per
database is opened, though the load is being driven only into
one database.

I've rewritten the filter into Erlang, but owing to a bug in
0.11, the test will have to wait until Couch is upgraded to
0.11.1 or higher.

Matt