couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Cory Zue <>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 1.0 on Ubuntu 10.4
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:15:33 GMT
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Cory Zue <> wrote:

> Hey,
> I had an Ubuntu machine running a couch 0.11 build from source.  I just
> tried upgrading to 1.0 using the super-convenient installer from
>  I didn't touch any of the defaults
> during installation.
> Couch seems perfectly happy when i start it
> from  /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/bin/couchdb (runs fine, all tests pass), but when I
> start it using /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/etc/init.d/couchdb start it doesn't work.
>  Couch appears to be running and spawns several processes, but I can't hit
> it on port 5984, and netstat doesn't show 5984 being occupied.
> Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?  My initial thought was one
> of the old environment variables from a previous install causing something
> to go haywire in the init.d, but I haven't explored that much yet.
> thanks,
> Cory

Big thanks to tisba who helped me through this on IRC.  The issue ended up
being a simple file permissions one.  It seems the installer
doesn't give permissions to the couchdb user to /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/.
 Running couch as root was working fine but the init.d script runs it as
couchdb user.  Since they didn't even have permission to access the log
file, I was unable to see the log and thus unable to see why everything was

The solution ended up being to run the following command to give ownership
over that directory:

chown -R couchdb:couchdb

I don't know if this is a problem with new installs or only when upgrading
from a previous version, but it seems like it would be good to have this
documented somewhere to solve future headaches.

thanks to all that helped.