couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Cory Zue <c...@dimagi.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 1.0 on Ubuntu 10.4
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:15:33 GMT
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Cory Zue <czue@dimagi.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I had an Ubuntu machine running a couch 0.11 build from source.  I just
> tried upgrading to 1.0 using the super-convenient installer from couch.io(
> http://www.couch.io/get#ubuntu).  I didn't touch any of the defaults
> during installation.
>
> Couch seems perfectly happy when i start it
> from  /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/bin/couchdb (runs fine, all tests pass), but when I
> start it using /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/etc/init.d/couchdb start it doesn't work.
>  Couch appears to be running and spawns several processes, but I can't hit
> it on port 5984, and netstat doesn't show 5984 being occupied.
>
> Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?  My initial thought was one
> of the old environment variables from a previous install causing something
> to go haywire in the init.d, but I haven't explored that much yet.
>
> thanks,
> Cory

Big thanks to tisba who helped me through this on IRC.  The issue ended up
being a simple file permissions one.  It seems the couch.io installer
doesn't give permissions to the couchdb user to /opt/couchdb-1.0.0/.
 Running couch as root was working fine but the init.d script runs it as
couchdb user.  Since they didn't even have permission to access the log
file, I was unable to see the log and thus unable to see why everything was
failing.

The solution ended up being to run the following command to give ownership
over that directory:

chown -R couchdb:couchdb
/opt/couchdb-1.0.0/{etc,var/lib,var/run,var/log}/couchdb

I don't know if this is a problem with new installs or only when upgrading
from a previous version, but it seems like it would be good to have this
documented somewhere to solve future headaches.

thanks to all that helped.

Cory